I’ve continued off and on development on GMDP this past week between a couple of other projects, some of which I’ll share shortly. I’ve been learning a lot about the Doom WAD format these past couple of weeks, and have been making huge strides in GMDP. Much of what I’ve done with it is actually invisible, such as loading various information in regards to the different vertexes, linedefs, sidedefs, sectors, subsectors, nodes, glverts, glsegs, glssects and a considerable amount more. There is enough information being loaded right now to create an untextured version of any level in the game. This is a huge step.
I’ve now got all THINGS in a level loading up, including their positions, and any flags or settings that are defined for each. I’ve now got them displaying as small green dots on the map that I’ve loaded earlier.
In addition to that, I’ve finally accomplished something today that I’ve not seen done in GM before, Patch loading! The one thing that wasn’t accomplished in the project that inspired me to work on this is finally a reality. Textures, sprites, backgrounds, all of them are readable from a wad file. I’m super excited about this. It’s currently a little slower than I’d like but that’s what optimizations down the road are for.
Now for a little evidence!
Yep, there’s the TITLEPIC loaded dynamically from a wad straight into GM: Studio. You can also see THINGS drawn on the map overlayed onto the background.
Progress, it’s a joyous feeling 🙂